JOB POST: Lecturer in Sign Language Linguistics or Deaf Studies, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia
IMMIDIATE VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
• POSITION: Expatriate Lecturers (2)
• Sign Language & Deaf Culture
Position needed: – Lecturer in Linguistics (with expertise in sign language linguistics and/or deaf studies)
Addis Ababa University’s Department of Linguistics has launched the Bachelors of Arts degree in Ethiopian Sign Language and Deaf Culture this academic year (2008-2009). It is the first BA degree course in Sign Language provided in the African continent.
The main objectives of the BA program are to encourage and train:
• sign language teachers in teaching sign language courses at secondary and tertiary levels
• sign linguists in conducting research on Ethiopian Sign Language in order to promote the use, status and function of Ethiopian Sign Language.
• sign language interpreters in the interpreting profession
The program is to:
• Promote collaborative research on Ethiopian Sign Language in conjunction with other institutions of higher learning at local, regional and international levels.
• Provide advisory services to organizations, schools, institutions that work to promote Ethiopian Sign Language and Deaf culture, organize short-term trainings for people involved in Sign language and Deaf Education, compilation of Sign language dictionary etc.
It is a three year regular university program which gives modules focusing on sign language, linguistics, Deaf Culture. Some of the modules the Lecturer is expected to be familiar with are:
• Sign language and Society
• Sign language literature and performance
• Trends in Deaf Education
• The sociology of signing family
• Sign language interpretation and translation
• Deafness in broader perspectives,
• Communication Support for Deaf People (i.e. note-taking, interpreting etc)
We may require the expatriate lecturers (if given sufficient skills needed) to assist us in doing a feasibility study into setting up the African Centre for Deaf Studies and Sign Language Studies at our university.
The Department of Linguistics and Philology seeks to employ two full-time Lecturer positions. The minimum contractual time is two years as of March 2009 with the possibility of extending the contract.
• Good sign language skills, preferably in American Sign Language
• Postgraduate diploma in Sign linguistics, Deaf Studies, or related field or qualification;
• Knowledge of Deaf history and culture;
• Extensive experience in working with the Deaf community;
The ideal candidates for the position should be a self-starter, detail-oriented, and able to handle multiple assignments and operate in team work and an intense environment.
Salary: details given upon requesting
Interested candidates are required to send or email a letter of application stating their interest, their curriculum vitae and two letters of references from academics to:
Eyasu Hailu Tamene
Ethiopian Sign Language Program Coordinator
Addis Ababa University, Department of Linguistics
P.O. Box 1176 Addis Ababa
For further information, please email Eyasu Tamene at: firstname.lastname@example.org
I received this job post announcement via the DeafStudies-Africa email discussion group, which people can subscribe to for free.
Subscribe to We Can Do
Learn how to receive an email alert when new material is posted at We Can Do (wecando.wordpress.com).
Other Resources at We Can Do
Catch up with the news; explore resources, toolkits, or funding and fellowship opportunities; find research, reports, papers, or statistics; or look up conferences, events, call for papers, or education/training opportunities.
[Published at wecando.wordpress.com (We Can Do)]