NEWS: Emergency Response for Bangladesh Disability Community Following Cyclone Sidr
SSDP’s Program Achievement Nov’07 – Oct’08
The Southern Socio-economic Development Program (SSDP) is a non profitable NGOs working for underprivileged rural community especially for people with disabilities (PWDs) in southern coastal area of Bangladesh. We are very proud of to extend our service to Cyclone SIDR affected people by the support of various donor.
A snapshot of our achievement of Emergency Response activities against SIDR 2007.
1 st phase:
1. Distributed survival package among 3750 household those who are with SIDR affected vulnerable people including PWDs in the area of Barguna District
2. Distributed 400 tents among the household those who were living under the open sky.
3. Distributed Food and hygiene kinds among 500 women.
4. Distributed milk (DANO) among 200 babies & Mother
1. Supported 2000 household through providing 20 kg rice by food for work
2. Supported 2000 household through providing 10kg paddy seeds.& 25gm vegetables seeds
3. Supported 4000 household through providing seeds for agricultural production.
4. Distributed 55000 plants among 5500 household
5. Providing boat, net and others materials to 300 nos fisherman for restoring live and livelihood
6. Installation of 45 nos Deep Tube well for 910 household.
7. Installation of 2184 nos sanitary latrine for the 2184 household.
8. Reconstruction of 75 nos DHTW platforms
9. Construction of 24 nos School sanitary latrine.
10. Distributed hygienic kits among 6000 household
• Disbursed a total amount of Tk.14,50,000/= among 250 PWDs HH for goat purchase
• Disbursed a total of Tk.11,50,000/= among 1000 PWDs HH in cash
• Distributed survival package among 1000 PWDs HH 3 rd phase:
• Provided 10 accessible house to PWDs and income generation support.
• Installation of 280 tin shed pacca sanitary latrine to 280 HHs
• Education support for 176 CWDs (children with disabilities)
• Facilitating IGA (Income Generating Activities) supports to 230 PWD HHs
During addressing emergency response activities SSDP also have some visitors from National and International donors.
1. Mr. Roger Bodary, National Director, Habitat for Humanity International Bangladesh
2. Mr. Oliver Broua, Rapid response Coordinator, Regional Support Office-South Asia from European Commission.
3. Mr. Norbert Nicoup, Mission chief , handicap International from France
4. Country Director-save the children –USA
5. Farrah Kabir, Country Director, Action aid Bangladesh
6. Dr. Malay Chandra Mirdha , ICCDDRB
7. Abdur Rashid, Executive Director NGO Forum for WSS
8. Mr.Jahid Hasan with MJF team and more
Core programmatic achievement of SSDP
With a view to sustainable development of underprivileged community especially people with disabilities (PWDs) SSDP is working since 1990 and supported the PWDs through inclusive education, IGAs for self-employment, assistive devise, medical support, PTR Self-help group (SHGs) formation, skill training, social mobilization advocacy and lobbing etc. With a view of capacity building also provide/ facilitate awareness raising program, different training like leadership, decision making, involvement in various social activities and curricular activities.
Some case of remarkable successful as well as achievement of SSDP can be present in following manner.
Case -1. Sarmin, a physically WWD girl passed her 16 years of life within a room with attached bath room. She never comes outside her room. SSDP discover her and provide an assistive device. It was a joyful day in her life when she sees the open sky and the socio-culture environment first during her 16 years life. She moved whole the Barguna District town by her wheel chair. She looked every thing with her surprising eyes every moment. Every body also enjoys this scenario.
Case -2. Jamal, a physically disabled person beneficiary is running a grocery shop taken support from SSDP through its IGA support program. He started the business with the capital of Tk.4000.00 and at present he is running with the capital of Tk20000.00. Now he is happy with his family with a monthly income of Tk.4000.00 – 5000.00 per month..
Present scope of work at the SSDP working area rehabilitation and sustainable development.
a. Accessible housing support for changing life’s of the PWDs families with sanitation facilities.
b. Livelihood support for Income generating.
c. School based forestation
d. Inclusive Educational for CWDs.
e. Self help Group promotional activities for social inclusion
f. Medical and Assistive Devise support for the PWDs
g. Primary health care support, and medical support for the PWDs
h. Psycho-social care support program
i. Home based gardening.
j. Long term agriculture rehabilitation program for food security. k. Climate change protection and disaster management program support.
Present supporters & Donors :
a. Action aid Bangladesh. ECHO.
b. Manusher Junnay Foundation ( MJF)
c. Stings Lillian Fonds through DRRA
d. Cristfel Blind Mission (CBM), GARMANY -Centre for Disability and Development ( CDD)
e. Nari Pakha.
f. Steps towards Development, Gender & Development Alliance
g. Bureau of Non-formal Education (BNFE), GOB and DAM
h Action on Disability and Development (ADD)
i. Health Link UK through SARPV-Bangladesh
j. Dark and Light Netherlands through CDD
k. Habitat for Humanity International – Bangladesh Country Office.
l. ADDIN Welfare Centre- HASAB Consortium
Additional cooperation requirement:
a. Program support for livelihood and food security for the fishermen community along with PWDs.
b. Disaster Risk reduction and management program.
c. Training center cum cyclone shelter establish organizational sustainability
d. Program support for the self-help group promotional activities for social inclusion for PWDs
If you have any queries please communicate with SSDP and /or visit their program area.
Md. Habibur Rahman
Southern Socio-economic Development Program (SSDP)
Amtali Natun Bazar
Amtali Barguna , Bangladesh
Phone: 04452-56136, Mobile: 01712-163604
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Thank you to Ghulam Nabi Nizamani for circulating this report from the SSDP.
Subscribe to We Can Do
Learn how to receive an email alert when new material is posted at We Can Do (wecando.wordpress.com).
Other Resources at We Can Do
Catch up with the news; explore resources, toolkits, or funding and fellowship opportunities; find research, reports, papers, or statistics; or look up conferences, events, call for papers, or education/training opportunities.
[Published at wecando.wordpress.com (We Can Do)]