JOB POST: Project Manager Inclusive Education Bac Kan province, Vietnam, Handicap International
Handicap International IS LOOKING FOR Project Manager Inclusive Education in Bac Kan province, Vietnam.
Posting date: 1st February 2009 Length of the assignment : 2 years
Closing date for application : 21/12/2008 (December 21, 2008)
Handicap International is an international organisation specialised in the field of disability. Non-governmental, non-religious, non-political and non-profit-making, it works alongside people with disabilities, whatever the context, in response to humanitarian crises and the effects of extreme poverty. Handicap International implements programmes of assistance to persons and local organisations, inclusion programmes and programmes focusing on the fight against the main causes of disability. It runs projects in almost 60 countries, with the support of a network of 8 national associations ( Germany, Belgium, Canada, United-States, Luxembourg, United Kingdom and Switzerland)
The organisation employs almost 3300 people worldwide, 330 of whom work in France and in its European and North American sections.
For more details on the association: http://www.handicap-international.fr/en/s/index.html
JOB CONTEXT :
Unified from 1975 after 40 years of conflict, Vietnam entered into the Doi Moi process on economy and politics in the mid 80’s to open the country to liberalism. With economic growth rate of more than 8% in 2007, the country is now becoming one of the new Asian Dragons. This development creates a gap between rich areas mainly located in the lowlands and urban areas and remote mountainous regions where people remain poor, despite a 50% fall in poverty over the last 10 years.
The country is very stable with a government ruled by one legal political party. All institutional levels have People Committee representatives from the State to the villages. With around 85 millions inhabitants, Vietnam is highly populated for a territory of 331,000 km2. 54 ethnic groups co-exist in this area; the Kinh (Vietnamese themselves) constitute a majority of 85% and are dispersed nationwide. All other population groups are ethnic minorities mainly located in mountainous provinces.
JOB DESCRIPTION :
The objective aims to implement the Inclusive Education National Plan in Bac Kan province. The project has been designed and submitted as a consortium between Handicap international France and Save the Children Sweden. The project will be implementing with others external partners specialized or working in education domain.
Challenges and goals:
The Project Manager will ensure the effective implementation of the project “Rights-Based Inclusive Education Access for Children with Disability in Bac Kan province, Vietnam” in line with programme and project requirements. The post holder must support and promote the core values and interests of HI. The Project Manager will work under the supervision of the Programme Director based in Hanoi and will manage one to two project assistants, and up to two field staff (to be recruited).
/_Manage the project_/:
– To manage the following project areas: implementation of activities, human resources (field staff), finance and communications. To coordinate with partners strategies on Inclusive Education;
– Determine the methodology to be used in the project appropriate to the Vietnamese understanding of inclusion of disabled children in education
– Support the implementation of activities by partners and consultants, to implement an education policy which takes into account disabled children,
– Write the project narrative reports and participate in financial reports,
– Co-ordinate between all the project’s internal and external stakeholders;
– Prepare and participate in the evaluation phases and implement any pertinent recommendations;
– Provide initiatives to develop the project in the relation to the HI Vietnam’s pluri-annual strategy and participate technically in fundraising.
/_Manage the project and site team:_/
– Draw-up job profiles, validate recruitments an individual action plans for each team member
– Train the team in methods, approaches (participative methods, partnership…) or technical aspects (Inclusive Education, Specialized Education, identification and assessment of disabled children); Ensure effective communication within the HI team in Hanoi and other sites.
/_ Assure the project’s technical framework and its representation_/:
– Ensure that the project is implemented in line with Handicap International’s Inclusive Education policy and the Vietnamese education sector plan. /__/
/_Contribute towards the capitalization of experience:_/
– Identify with the Technical Adviser, which issues or subject areas should be capitalized,
– Define a method for collecting good practice with the Technical Adviser
– Degree in a relevant discipline ; Education, development or disability (equal to BAC + 4 in France)
– Strong management skills. At least 5 years experiences in his/her field or in project management.
– Sound knowledge of Monitoring and Evaluation techniques and methodology
– Ability to work in partnership with national and local actors
– Experience of working within a multi-cultural environment
– English is essential as all project documentation and reporting systems are in English
_Qualities required_: Group leadership, initiative, creativity, diplomacy, interpersonal skills. Written and oral expression, decision making, good team work skills, strong autonomy.
– _Field of studies:_ special Education (Inclusive education, social work…)
– Experience of working in remote area, experience in INGO, experience in Asian context.
REQUIRED LANGUAGE SKILLS: English mandatory both written and oral, French would be an asset.
JOB ENVIRONMENT : The Project Manager will travel to Hanoi once a month to attend a monthly internal HI meeting in order to monitor and share his project with the Hanoi office and the Quang Tri site (HIV/AIDS project).//
EMPLOYMENT CONDITIONS :
_Volunteer :_ 750 or 850 Euros monthly indemnity + living allowance paid on the field + accommodation + 100% medical cover + repatriation insurance
_Salary :_ 2000 to 2300 + 457 Euros expatriation allowance + 100% medical cover + repatriation insurance « + family policy »
Please send resume and covering letter with the above reference to : FPINSERCPEducVietnam1108
HANDICAP INTERNATIONAL – 14, avenue Berthelot – 69361 LYON CEDEX 07
Or by Email : email@example.com
Please do not telephone
Candidates from Canada or the United States, and nationals of these countries, should send their application to the following address :
HANDICAP INTERNATIONAL CANADA
1819 Boulevard René Lévesque, bureau 401 – MONTRÉAL, QUÉBEC – H3H 2P5
Or by email : firstname.lastname@example.org
or fax : 514-937-6685
Please do not telephone
This announcement was previously circulated via the Intl-Dev mailing list; the Global Partnership for Disability and Development mailing list; and other sources.
Subscribe to We Can Do
Learn how to receive an email alert when new material is posted at We Can Do (wecando.wordpress.com).
Other Resources at We Can Do
Catch up with the news; explore resources, toolkits, or funding and fellowship opportunities; find research, reports, papers, or statistics; or look up conferences, events, call for papers, or education/training opportunities.
[Published at wecando.wordpress.com (We Can Do)]