VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY: Empowering Disabled in Bangladesh Through Micro-Credit
If I understand correctly, it seems that the participating fellow/volunteer may need to cover all associated travel and other expenses. In exchange, you would gain experience that you can put on your resume. Please use the contact information provided near the bottom of this announcement to obtain more detail about this opportunity.
Short Term Fellowships (3 months)
1 position available
BANGLADESH: Using micro-credit to empower the disabled community, raising awareness about disabilities, and advocating for disability rights in Bangladesh
Based in: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Host: Since 1991, Blind Education and Rehabilitation Development Organization (BERDO) has been working for the development and protection of the disabled community in Bangladesh. Founded and run by individuals living with blindness themselves, BERDO’s programs include microcredit, rehabilitation, a Talking Library, scholarships, job placement, health services, and disability prevention. BERDO fulfills its mission through networking, research, advocacy, and service.
- Identify and define a clear social justice agenda,
- Work with BERDO to develop their micro-credit programs, and disseminate information on these programs
- Produce a newsletter regularly, website content, and press releases
- Place articles with the local and international press
- Explore existing and new ways to help disabled persons exploit ICT, including social networking
- Develop eco-network of local ICT supporters
- Continue developing BERDO’s website
- Expand upon the BERDO partner page (AP site)
- Expand BERDO’s network of micro-credit contacts, locally and internationally
- Expand BERDO’s network of contacts with disability rights advocates
- Limited fundraising (small social justice projects)
- Understanding of disability issues, rights, and advocacy possibilities, including the new International Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities
- Knowledge and experience of microcredit (preferred)
- Sensitivity, flexibility, open-mindedness, and a willingness to confront new challenges
- Experience in advocacy or activism
- Networking and excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong writing skills
For more detail, consult the web site at:
Any questions about this opportunity should be directed to email@example.com
Thank you to Amy Wilson for passing along this announcement.
Subscribe to We Can Do
Learn how to receive an email alert when new material is posted at We Can Do (wecando.wordpress.com).
Other Resources at We Can Do
Catch up with the news; explore resources, toolkits, or funding and fellowship opportunities; find research, reports, papers, or statistics; or look up conferences, events, call for papers, or education/training opportunities.