FELLOWSHIP: Teach Your Language in the United States Through the Fulbright Program
SHARE YOUR LANGUAGE
Apply to teach in the United States!
This year’s fellowship application deadline is February 15.
The Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) Program sponsors young English teachers to travel to and live for a year in the United States to:
- Teach their native language as either a course instructor or teaching assistant
- Plan cultural events and language activities related to their home countries
- Act as resource persons in conversation groups and language laboratories
- Participate in non-degree studies at U.S. colleges and universities
- Learn the cultures and customs of the United States
- Increase their English language skills
- Expand their teaching methods
People with and without disabilities are encouraged to apply. The Fulbright program is committed to making appropriate disability-related accommodations. Contact the National Clearinghouse on Disability and Exchange for more information at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Eligibility Criteria include:
- Be between 21-29 years old
- Reside in one of the qualified countries (which includes your country)
- Have an equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor’s degree and good academic records
- Be teachers of English or training to become teachers of English; prior teaching experience is preferred
- Clearly demonstrate maturity, dependability, integrity and professionalism
- Be outgoing and dynamic individuals with a great sense of humor
- Demonstrate flexibility and a willingness to learn
- Have an interest in and are adaptable to living in rural areas
- Be fluent in English, as demonstrated by a score of no less than 550 (Paper Based TOEFL); 213 (Computer Based TOEFL – CBT); 79-80 (Internet Based TOEFL – IBT) or 6.0 (Overall Score International English Language Testing System – IELTS)
The deadline for application is February 15, 2008. This is an annual award, so if you missed the deadline apply next year.
Overseas Fulbright Commissions and U.S. Embassy contacts who nominate FLTAs in qualified countries can be found at:
The Fulbright FLTA Program is sponsored by the United States Department of State and administered by the Institute of International Education.
Institute of International Education.
809 United Nations Plaza
New York NY 10017
Tel: (212) 984-5471 Fax: (212) 984-5578
Also at We Can Do: catch up with the news; explore resources, toolkits, or funding and fellowship opportunities that might be helpful for your organization; find research, reports, papers, or statistics; or look up conferences, events, call for papers, or education/training opportunities.
Learn how to receive an email alert when new material is posted at We Can Do (wecando.wordpress.com).