JOB POST: English Teacher, Deaf Adults, Jamaica
English Teacher for Deaf Adults in Jamaica
Job Title: English Teacher for Deaf Adults in Jamaica
Location: Kingston, Jamaica
Salary: $30,000 per year / $2,100 per month
Contract: 2 years, starting December 1, 2007 (or as soon as possible)
1. Current teacher certification
2. Fluency or near-fluency in American Sign Language (ASL)
3. Experience with teaching the Deaf, using bilingual-bicultural methods
4. The ability to work independently, using initiative and resourcefulness in a different cultural environment.
5. Excellent organizational skills and ability to coordinate personnel.
6. The ability to work closely with the teaching staff, assistants and administrative staff
7. Excellent English language (writing) skills.
Brief History: In 2003, Global Deaf Connection (GDC) started a partnership with the Jamaica Association for the Deaf (JAD) to help enrich JAD’s Deaf education programs. By 2004, GDC and JAD were given support by the United States Agency for International Development’s (USAID) Global Development Alliance (GDA) to initiate the Fast Track college preparatory program. Thirty Deaf adults participated in this intensive two-year program to prepare to take the college entrance exams in October and November 2007. Those who pass the exam will enroll in a four-year teachers’ training college in Jamaica. GDC will provide scholarships and Jamaican Sign language interpreters. The long-term goal is for these Deaf adults to graduate from a teachers’ college and become certified teachers for the Deaf so that the future generation of Deaf children in Jamaica will have qualified teachers who are native signers and role models.
Out of the thirty Deaf adults currently enrolled in the Fast Track program, only sixteen were prepared to take the exams in 2007 with the expectation that five will pass all CXC/GCE level exams and be ready for college entrance in 2008. The remaining twenty-five Deaf adults need additional study to be prepared to pass the exams in 2008 and 2009.
Position description: Global Deaf Connection (GDC) in collaboration with the Jamaica Association for the Deaf (JAD) is seeking a dynamic professional to fill the position of an English Teacher for the Fast Track Program starting December 1st, 2007. This is a great opportunity for an individual looking for exciting work with the international Deaf community.
Applicants should be a teacher for the Deaf, sign fluently and have a strong fundamentals background to meet the diverse academic needs of Deaf adults as well as developing and sharing new instructional strategies with teachers and administrators.
All applicants should have the desire to live and work in Jamaica and have the ability to work outside of regular business hours.
Applicants should have the skills to be successful in the following areas:
• Programming: Develop and influence relationships to ensure the viability of the Fast Track Program. Oversee program development and sustainability.
• Teaching and curriculum planning: Know exactly what is involved in examination preparation, course content, student resources, layout and timings of examination papers; knowledge of how to apply subject materials and teach specific student groups successfully.
• Monitor student learning: Ability to successfully use Individual Education Plans (IEP’s) and conduct assessments to monitor student progress towards goals.
1. Teach English to a group of 20 Deaf adults (2 classes of 10 students each).
2. Plan and follow curriculum based on books from the national exam in Jamaica.
3. Give students regular assessments to write, follow and update annual IEP’s.
4. Counsel students on English progress and exam preparation.
5. Coordinate the summer Fast Track Program intensive literacy training workshop
6. Submit informal monthly reports to the Program Director at Global Deaf Connection.
Interested applicants should send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please call (612) 724-8565/ (541) 687-4170 VP with questions or view the GDC website at www.deafconnection.org.
Due date for resume and cover letter submissions is November 19, 2007
Global Deaf Connection
2901-38th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55406 USA
telephone: 612.724.8565 V/TTY/VP
We Can Do learned of this opportunity partly through the Intl-Dev listserv on international development, and partly from a contact at MIUSA. However, neither We Can Do nor Intl-Dev nor MIUSA are associated with Global Deaf Connection. Interested parties should contact Global Deaf Connection directly by following the instructions in the announcement above.
Learn how to receive an email alert when new material is posted at We Can Do.