CONFERENCE: India National CRPD Workshop: Making Human Rights a Reality
Thank you to Ghulam Nabi Nazimani for passing along this announcement:
National level workshop
Dates:1st and 2nd December 2007
Venue:CBR NETWORK(South Asia)Bangalore
UN Convention on the Rights of persons with Disabilities (CRPD)
Theme-How to evolve a civil society reporting system in South Asia to translate the vision of the CRPD becomes a reality for all persons with disabilities in our society?
India Focus group
We welcome you to two days workshop on evolving a civil society reporting system in India to translate the vision of the CRPD becomes a reality for all persons with disabilities in our society.
In October 2007, at the fourth South Asian regional conference held in Katmandu , Nepal a resolution was passed and was included in the Katmandu Declaration on the importance of developing a civil society reporting system for the effective implementation of UN CRPD.
Now the important job to do before all of us is its implementation in the real sense of the word. We should work in the direction of creating awareness among persons with disabilities,families ,civil Societies ,government ,media about the UN convention and implementation tool kit developed by Disabled people international .
This is the high time we should all work in this direction at a war footing.
What is the new Convention and what does it mean for me? A new Convention – A new approach
- Understand what kind of convention the CRPD is
- Understand why the CRPD is needed and how it was created
- Understand what a “rights-based approach” is
- Understand how this is new and how it can be helpful to persons with disabilities
What we hope the Convention will achieve
- Increase the visibility of persons with disabilities, both within the UN human rights system and in society more generally
- Clarify the human rights obligations of governments to persons with disabilities, and ensure that governments who become States Parties to the convention make legislative and programmatic changes at the national level to implement their legal obligations under the convention
- Encourage existing human rights monitoring bodies to pay attention to disability issues when they review compliance of governments with the other core human rights conventions
- Encourage other bodies within the UN system (such as UNICEF, UNIFEM, WHO, UNESCO, and others) to pay attention to disability issues in their work
- Establish systems for comprehensively monitoring the human rights situation of persons with disabilities around the world
- Establish systems for international cooperation, through which governments, disability organizations and other actors can share knowledge and ideas and work together to improve the lives of persons with disabilities
Modest accommodation will be arranged for outstation participants on a prior request. Please confirm your participation by sending an email or a letter.
Looking forward to seeing you
Please encourage and support women with disabilities to participate in this important meeting.
Workshop cooridnators Dr Srikumari Kartha and Sri Suryakanth Kitte
Mr Carlos Orjuela and Ms Singoalla Tiroler
Former member National commission for persons with Disabilities,India
CBR NETWORK (South Asia)
UN ECOSOC Special Consultative Status since 2007
Associate Member of Rehabilitation International( Advancing the rights and inclusion of persons with disabilities worldwide)
134,1st Block,6th Main BSK III Stage,Bangalore -560085
Learn how to receive an email alert when new material is posted at We Can Do.